The world’s most widely adopted AI developer tool - GitHub Copilot
What is GitHub-Copilot?
GitHub Copilot is an AI pair programmer that offers autocomplete-style suggestions as you code. You can receive suggestions from GitHub Copilot either by starting to write the code you want to use, or by writing a natural language comment describing what you want the code to do.
GitHub Copilot analyses the context in the file you are editing, as well as related files, and offers suggestions from within your text editor. GitHub Copilot is powered by a generative AI model developed by GitHub, OpenAI, and Microsoft.
GitHub Copilot is an AI-powered code completion tool developed by GitHub in collaboration with OpenAI. It was designed to assist developers by generating code suggestions as they write, with the goal of improving productivity and reducing repetitive tasks.
Released in 2021 as a technical preview.
GitHub Copilot is an innovative code completion tool.
Let me give some overview about few AI and ML terminologies before dive deep into the GitHub-Copilot.
Microsoft AI Principles
Fairness – Microsoft AI systems are designed with quality of service, availability of resources, and a minimization of the potential for stereotyping based on demographics, culture, or other factors.
Reliability and safety – Microsoft AI systems are developed in a way that is consistent with our design ideas, values, and principles so as to not create harm in the world.
Privacy and security – With an increased reliance on data to develop and train AI systems, we’ve established requirements to ensure that data is not leaked or disclosed.
Inclusiveness – Microsoft’s AI systems should empower and engage communities around the world, and to do this, we partner with under-served minority communities to plan, test, and build AI systems.
Transparency – People who create AI systems should be open about how and why they are using AI, and open about the limitations of the system. Additionally, everyone must understand the behavior of AI systems.
Accountability – Everyone is accountable for how technology impacts the world. For Microsoft, this means we are consistently enacting our principles and taking them into account in everything that we do.
Generates code suggestions in real-time as you type.
Supports various programming languages, making it versatile.
Understands the context of your code and provides relevant suggestions.
Machine Learning Model
Built on OpenAI's Codex, a language model.
Trained on a vast dataset containing a diverse range of code.
Analyses the code context, comments, and patterns to generate relevant suggestions.
Generative AI refers to unsupervised and semi-supervised machine learning algorithms that enable computers to use existing content like text, audio and video files, images, and even code to create new possible content. The main idea is to generate completely original artifacts that would look like the real deal.
What can you do with GitHub Copilot?
- Convert comments to code
- Autofill for repetitive code
- Autosuggest tests
- Show alternatives
Here are some great ways to leverage Copilot extensions:
Seamlessly integrates with GitHub repositories.
Integrated Development Environments (IDEs)
Supports popular IDEs like Visual Studio Code.
· From my point of view, it seems like developers are going to be writing less and less code in the coming years, maybe a decade.
· GitHub Copilot represents a significant leap in AI-assisted coding.
· Balancing productivity gains with code quality remains a key consideration.
· Developers are encouraged to explore and provide feedback to shape its future.
· Copilot is just one of many tools that improve and will keep improving our work. In fact, relying too much on tools like that might lead to unnecessary work or even serious problems. It is not even close to replacing programmers.
· Nevertheless, in the end, the computer is simply better than humans in writing boilerplate code, algorithms and making calculations. Just let them do it and let’s focus more on the creative problems.